Bison and Barley Soup
How to Prepare:
- 8 ounces bison sirloin, cut in small pieces
- Salt and pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Sprinkle bison sirloin with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a pot over medium-high heat and add bison, stirring often, until browned on all sides.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add carrot, celery and onion. Cook, stirring, until vegetables begin to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, bay leaf and thyme. Continue stirring until vegetables are coated with tomato paste and start to brown, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add barley, water and broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until barley is tender, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat, Remove bay leaf and stir in red wine vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.