Bison Steaks with Jack Daniel Sauce
How to Prepare:
- 6 boneless bison steaks, about 10 ounces each
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Jack Daniel sauce:
- 2 ounces shallots, very finely chopped
- 2 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 16 ounces buffalo or beef stock
- 6 ounces dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons green peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 4 ounces Jack Daniel’s, plus 2 ounces
- 4 ounces heavy cream
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Season the bison steaks with salt and black pepper, and leave to rest for 1 hour at room temperature.
- To make the sauce, sauté the shallots and mushrooms in 2 tablespoons of the butter over a medium heat for a few minutes until golden brown.
- Add the stock, 4 ounces Jack Daniel’s and 1 tablespoon of the green peppercorns, and gently simmer until reduced by half. Pour in the cream, and continue to reduce until it has the consistency of a light sauce.
- Whisk in the remaining butter, little by little, then add the remaining peppercorns, the extra Jack Daniel’s and a squeeze of lemon juice to taste. Remove from the heat, and set aside to keep warm.
- Sear the bison steaks in butter or olive oil until medium-rare, 2-3 minutes per side.
- Transfer to warm serving plates, pour over the delicious sauce and serve with a vegetable salad of choice.