Spice-rubbed Bison Tri-Tip
How to Prepare:
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or very finely minced
- 1 3-pound bison tri-tip roast
- Combine salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, rosemary, cayenne and garlic. Rub seasoning mixture into all sides of tri-tip roast.
- Cover roast and refrigerate 1 to 4 hours.
- Let roast sit at room temperature 30 minutes before cooking. Meanwhile, preheat grill for indirect heat. (Cooking over natural hardwood lump charcoal or with woodchips is recommended.)
- Grill roast over direct heat on both sides until a crust develops, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Move roast to indirect heat; cover and grill approximately 20 minutes, or until meat reaches 130 degrees in the thickest part of the roast.
- Let meat rest at least 10 minutes before slicing against the grain. (Note that the tri-tip roast has two sections with the grain running in a different direction in each. For best results, cut the roast where those sections meat, and slice each portion separately against its grain.)